Last night was New Year's Eve. I rang in the new year with Sherman, Sharon, Sharon's parents, and the brother and sister-in-law. For dinner Sharon made lobster for everyone, but Sherman and I had tuna steaks. I like lobster, but I'm unsure about how to eat them. I mean, I don't know how to crack their exoskeleton. I also didn't want to have lobster because they are quite expensive. The lobsters were served whole, eyes and all. I felt sad for them. There was also corn on the cob and baked potatoes, but I was only able to eat half of my baked potato, but the sister-in-law ate the other half. After dinner we played the game Balderdash. It's a great game because everyone ends up laughing hysterically. With so many people playing we didn't finish until close to midnight, but we were still able to watch the ball drop in Times Square in New York City. Some day I want to be there in person. When the clock struck 12 everyone began hugging and kissing one another. I'm not a hugger or a kisser, but I hugged Sharon and the sister-in-law and without my consent kissed the grandmother. I never want that to happen to me again. I got to sleep around one in the morning and woke up this morning at nine o'clock. Sherman woke me up by calling me on my cellphone because he was ready to get up.
Edit: I won Balderdash.
Friday, January 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lobster! My brother and I had lobster for dinner as well!
ReplyDeleteActually they aren't all that expensive now. Pound for pound they cost less than haddock or cod at the fish market, maybe comparable to farm raised salmon. Of course the price of lobster does include the exoskeleton. The edible portions may end up being comparable in price to white fish or slightly more expensive. Still the market has made them a good buy at least since last summer, and I even feel it's almost a duty to buy lobster to support the struggling lobstermen.
As for eating them, it is a messy business if you get them in the shell. I never* get a boiled lobster in a restaurant for that reason. But sometime I'll have to show you how it's done and if that means swallowing my pride and eating one in public, so be it.
* Actually that's hardly ever. I've had boiled lobsters in restaurants with my cousins on Prince Edward Island.